Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Handbooks and mad professors

Busy bee today - hardly had time to go to the loo at all. Which was probably a good thing bearing in mind the extreme chill of the day. Spent the whole of the morning redoing the mentoring handbook and fiddling around with fonts. There's nothing like a good font fiddle to get the blood racing really. I do so love getting my teeth into a good secretarial task. Just like the old days when I used to do audiotyping and take letters etc. Marvellous. In fact, I was twice asked my opinion on how to do a Word task today, and found myself saying phrases like "source data" and "interactive textboxes". Goodness, how impressed we all were - me most of all. Sometimes I even sound like I know what I'm talking about, and have to lie down for half an hour in a darkened room to recover. It's what they always say - if you can spout the right language in the right context, you can fool 99% of the people. But don't worry - at heart, I still don't have a bloody clue.

Spent a happy, if exhausting, lunch-hour at my back strengthening class. I think the honeymoon period is over for sure now, as we were stretching parts of our quivering bodies that not even the trainer was sure we had. Mind you, I think we gained several inches in height afterwards, so by the time our five-week course is over, no doubt we'll all be 7 foot, blonde and ten years younger. It's amazing what the University sports centre can do for you ...

This afternoon, I minuted an extraordinary meeting of the Student Affairs Committee - which was a riot: an hour of intense conversation which included several inspirational thoughts (mainly from my boss, who's a top-class ideas man); followed by five minutes at the end when our professorial chair (bless!) told us what was in fact going to happen as, because it wouldn't be like last year anyway, he'd already decided what to do. Well, perhaps he didn't say that in so many words, but that was the gist ... My, how they all laughed. Not. Mind you, I do love a man who can run rings around everyone on the politics front, and it's always a pleasure to see a star performance, in any circumstances. And at least he can now say, hand on heart, that the discussion has ... um ... taken place. Kind of.

The delights of food shopping after work, then home to TV and collapse. Oh, and the rejection from Smith's Knoll poetry magazine has arrived - but goodness, they're slack this year; they've taken a whole six days to return my envelope. My my, dears, I'd get your act together if I were you. Anyone would think you'd actually considered the stuff ... Mind you, they did say they'd like to see more, so I can't be too scathing, I suppose. (On second thoughts, nah, being nice wouldn't be natural.) Maybe they can save me paper & money next time by sending me my poems back before I've actually written them? Now, that would impress me.

And I've had some nice comments on the section of "The Gifting", which I uploaded onto the Writewords (http://www.writewords.org.uk) site a few days ago - which is a boost, as I wasn't sure about that particular piece. Best get on with some more writing then sometime.

Today's nice things:

1. The back class
2. Doing secretarial stuff
3. Getting nice comments on Writewords.

Anne Brooke
http://www.annebrooke.com
http://www.goldenford.co.uk

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Ha, you're just trying to be modest. Bet you do understand Word really!

Shame about the poems, but good that they want to see more. Don't think I could ever write a poem that would be good enough to publish....

Cx

Anne Brooke said...

No, it's all done with smoke and mirrors, Cathy!!! - both the Word stuff and the poetry ...

And you never know till you try - go for it, gal!

A
xxx