Sunday, March 25, 2007

It's just not Cricket ... is it?!?

Honestly, the Sunday after you come back from holiday but before you go back into work is just so a day out of time. Like a bridge between two worlds. Which feels somewhat more twitchy this time, I think, as without my luggage I'm still not properly "back" yet. I hope to God that BA do deliver it tomorrow - I want my books! And my face cream. And my jumpers. Not to mention everything else that maximises my reality factor. Damn it.

Had a lazy lie-in today, a fact not entirely due to my lack of bedside clock. Lord H has spent the whole day working like a demon on his divorce essay Theology class - which has to be emailed to the tutor by the end of next week. Hope he doesn't get any ideas from it, eh ... While that's been going on, I have ambled round the flat, creating lists for shopping (including items I desperately need if my case never returns), doing sudokus, scribbling a few more paragraphs to "The Gifting" (hey, I still might be able to write - you never know!) and checking the oil, water & tyre pressures of the cars.

I've also just finished Paul Auster's marvellous "The Brooklyn Follies" - which is great, and edgy and fun - apart from the rather bored ending. Did he just run out of interest? Hard to say - but still a worthwhile read. A great main character and a stonkingly good plot.

And this week's haiku (can you spot a theme?) is:

We took a short break
to Madeira. Our luggage
took a longer one.

Hmm. I can see I'm going to get obsessive about this. Why, oh God, why??! Anyway, it's good to come back into a world where cricket is at last made interesting. Good for everyone but poor old Bob Woolmer of course. But, hell, what a way to go. Poisoned and strangled. It's cricket, Jim, but not as we knew it ...

Have had a lovely nap this afternoon, post my fix of "Ugly Betty". I so love that woman. And tonight, I will have to ring mother before settling down to (a) a nice soak in the tub, and (b) "Northanger Abbey" on the TV. Bliss.

Today's nice things:

1. Napping
2. Doing another few paragraphs to "The Gifting"
3. The peculiarities of the New Cricket World.

Anne Brooke
http://www.annebrooke.com
http://www.goldenford.co.uk

5 comments:

Cathy said...

At least you have a valid excuse for not doing the post holiday washing and ironing...

Anne Brooke said...

Good thought, Cathy, but that was in Lord H's case and that came back, damn it!!

:))

A
xxx

Peter said...

Welcome back Anne... we've missed your daily blog...

Thing is if you worte a book with all the stuff that's happened in the cricket poeple would have just dismissed it as too far fetched!

Peter said...

Oh any did you fly from Gatwick??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/6494535.stm

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Peter!! And you're right about the cricket! And yes it was Gatwick, but we got through all right - just not my dang case!!!

==:O

A
xxx