Friday, October 19, 2007

Rubbish nappers and the publishing lunch

Today, in these parts, is rubbish collection day and once more our phantom rubbish napper has struck again ... We've had it happen a couple of times before over the last month or so and, this morning, Lord H put the rubbish out to add to the rubbish we'd put out earlier in the week - only to find that someone had taken the previous rubbish out of the bin and moved the bin itself to the other side of the gate. And the bin men most definitely hadn't been yet. Hmm. The plot thickens. Does Godalming have a phantom bin-napper? Or is some secret fan with very strange tastes going through the contents of our wheely bin hoping to glean some indication of what I'm currently working on? (So they can know what to avoid buying next, no doubt!) Ah, but I wish, eh!... Anyway, it's all very curious.

Spent some time this morning making comments on work in my Writewords groups, and then it was into Guildford for another hour or so staffing the Goldenford, this time with Jennifer, author of the utterly marvellous (notice my sales pitch here, please!) The Gawain Quest. And once again my presence is the kiss of death for commerce, as no sales again today. Ah well, I won't be appylying for a job with Sir Alan Sugar just yet then. In fact, I think I might get a tee-shirt made up saying Please don't buy these books if only in order to save time.

I then had a very late lunch with the equally marvellous Juli Klass of Mighty Erudite Publishers who has two glorious poetry collections coming out from her authors in November. Definitely something very exciting to look forward to, I can tell you! Both her poets are so shit-hot that they will burn your hand when you pick up their books. And both are definitely names for the future. So thanks for a great conversation, Juli - lovely to catch up with the London literati! We in the shires don't often meet important folk, you know ...

Back home, I am planning an evening's chilling in front of the TV and avoiding the Book Festival - so no change there then. Sorry! Oh, and I've just finished reading the latest edition of "Tears in the Fence" magazine. Once again, some great short stories there, but I really don't think much of the poetry. I'm beginning to think I might not resubscribe next time I'm asked. It's honestly not my type of reading at all.

Today's nice things:

1. Chatting with Jennifer at the stall
2. Lunch with Juli
3. Avoiding being good and not going to literary things!

Anne Brooke
Anne's website

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Hope it wasn't identity thieves going through your bin, Anne!

Cx

Anne Brooke said...

If they can find my identity, they're a better man than me, Gunga Din!! (sp??!)

A
xxx

Casdok said...

Yes Cathy thats what i thought.
Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Anne Brooke said...

Yet another of Godalming's great mysteries indeed!

:))

A
xxx