Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Tee-shirts, toilet cleaner and Maloney revisited

Have managed to book the away day for our work team on 1 July – which appears to be a date when most people can make it, hurrah! And goodness me but that took some doing. However, the venue keep saying they’ve sent me the contract to sign, but there’s nothing remotely in the email which looks like a contract. When I ring them up about it, I’m not sure they believe me. Sigh. Why would I hassle them about a thing like that if it weren’t true?? Just send me the contract, people!

In the meantime, we are planning on updating the Student Advice section of the website – but I feel that whilst the ideas are good, our current web system might not quite be up to handling them. Or possibly it’s just that I’m not up to it. Who can tell? In any case, roll on the new web provider is what I say – and soon. It will be a brave new world, I’m sure.

This lunchtime, I have nipped into town to stock up on suncream and tee-shirts for our upcoming holiday – can’t wait! Ruddy hot walking in though. Thank goodness I keep emergency deodorant at work – I don’t want to traumatise the office after all.

Oh, and good news on the Maloney’s Law front. I’ve been contacted by PD Publishing and they’re doing the second edit now, so I’m looking forward to getting my teeth into that very soon. Hurrah! I’m so excited about seeing Paul’s story in print later this year – it’s really making my day knowing that it’s in the system somewhere, as well as giving me more incentive to get the edits done to The Bones of Summer. Where I’m now onto Chapter 14 of 27, you’ll be pleased to hear.

Talking of books, I’ve just finished Diane Setterfield’s The Thirteenth Tale. A very impressive novel indeed and I can highly recommend it. It’s stuffed full of literary references and manages to work books into a novel in a way that’s rarely done well, I think. A fantastic start and a humdinger (and very clever) ending, which made me smile – though I did think it rather sagged in the middle and could have done with some judicial cutting at points. It’s so well written though that you can forgive both that and the rather wonderfully over-the-top storyline. However, even that works in terms of what the book is though. I’ll be looking out with interest for her next.

I'm also pleased to see that the Surrey Advertiser now has our Goldenford book event on 14 May listed here - though you'll need to scroll down to 14 May on the list to see the Golden Girls' names in print, hurrah!

Tonight, I shall pop into see Gladys on my way home. And then it’s an evening in. Wonderful. Ooh, and I am much amused by the instructions on the toilet cleaner I bought yesterday: Number One: Lift the toilet seat. Well, hello – what the hell do they think I’m going to do??? Spray it in my hair?? Honestly, words fail me …

Today’s nice things:

1. The news about Maloney’s Law
2. Laughing at toilet cleaner instructions
3. Editing.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website
Goldenford Publishers

No comments: