Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Contracts, reviews and sock considerations

Managed to grab a decent amount of sleep yesterday, thank goodness, but have still taken the day off today as I did feel rather shaky this morning. I also want to be as well as possible for tomorrow, which I think is probably a sensible move.

Anyway, today there's good news and mixed news ('twas ever thus ...). I was delighted to receive both my eBook contracts from Bristlecone Pine Press, one for Thorn in the Flesh and the other for Pink Champagne and Apple Juice. So I've read through and signed those and will get them back to Leslie next week.

And the great Scott Pack has nobly flicked through Maloney's Law (an act surely well beyond the Call of Duty ...) and considers it to have a certain charm, though it's not as slick or professional as other crime novels. So a rather mixed response, sigh. Ah well - as I said in the comments which you can find here, we Essex Gals don't really understand the concept of slick professionalism. Unless it comes with white stilettos of course ... But I'm certainly grateful for the mention, as Lord knows I need all the help I can get - so thank you for that, Scott!

This afternoon, I've packed for my hospital stay tomorrow, though I do wonder if - now I'm not having the ablation - they might let me out early. That would be good, but I'm not taking any chances so have packed anyway. I can always bring it all home again. Hell, I've even remembered my specially purchased flannelette nightie, so that should get them running to the hills for sure. I've also taken it hugely easy and done nothing to further my literary career today (professional or otherwise, tee hee ...) but instead have watched my DVD (yes - we do DVDs too here in the twilight zone!) of My Beautiful Launderette. A gorgeous film - you can't really go wrong with Daniel Day-Lewis and a dash of boy-on-boy action. All so gloriously 80s.

Oh, and I've decided to change my sock-wearing routine. Sorry if this is dull - or possibly hugely OCD - but I always wear black socks when I'm working and happy socks (ie non-black ones) at weekends. That's so I know when I'm supposed to be having fun. I decided a couple of weeks ago that, in line with my slow withdrawal from other aspects of the dreaded Writing Game, I'd wear happy socks on Thursdays and Fridays too, as I wasn't going to view writing as "work" any more. I'm going to try to view it as a fun hobby, hence the happy socks. I think it might be helping, somehow, in a weird sort of a way. And as the Doyenne of the Non-Professional Novel, I do of course have standards to maintain ...

Anyway, if the hospital keep me in, then I should be back on Friday, but probably won't feel much like blogging. But we'll see. I hope both my readers (Gawd bless you, sirs ...) have a good end of week, and hope to catch up soon.

Today's nice things:

1. Signing two contracts
2. Getting a mention on Scott's blog
3. Films
4. The existential mystery of socks.

Anne Brooke
Anne's Website

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck for tomorrow. Will be thinking of you. x

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, WFH - much appreciated.

:))

Axxx

Nik Perring said...

Congrats on the mention, Anne. Top, top place to be talked about. And all the very best for tomorrow.

Nik X

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Nik! And I'm all packed now!

:))

Axxx

Jilly said...

Best of luck for tomorrow - I shall be thinking of you. Hugs xxx

Anonymous said...

I hope my mention did the job. My reading pile is huge and I usually feel bad for taking so long to get round to things.

Best of luck at the hozzy.

Lover of Books, Films and Good Coffee Shops Everywhere! said...

Best wishes for tomorrow Anne - I hope they let you break out early....

Sue and Peter
X

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Scott - I'm with you on the reading pile crisis. Trouble is, I tend to take so long to get to things that I forget I've got them and buy them again, sigh ... And apologies for calling you Simon on your blog - double sigh!! I do seem to have packed my brain into my overnight bag. Best place for it then.

And thanks, all, for the hospital good wishes. I shall sneak out early if I can, Sue!

:))

Axxx

Jan said...

HOpe all is well.
Not called for a while bit I shall be back.
Hope you are feeling better.

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jan - out of hospital now and feeling sore - but at least I'm out!

Hugs

Axxx

Anonymous said...

Take it easy.

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, SC - will do!

Axxx