Sunday, February 15, 2009

A lazy day and good Bones news

Have spent a lot of today not doing very much and generally attempting to get better. I think things have improved since yesterday, but it's funny how the older I get the longer it takes me to get over a cold. And the more it wears me out. Ah, I'm not strong, my dears - somebody pass me the Sanatogen ... Mind you, I've managed to leave the flat (just to check if the car is working: it is) for the first time since Thursday, so that's progress at least.

However, today's top-notch Good News (with capitals) is that The Bones of Summer has been accepted for publication by Dreamspinner Press in the States, hurrah! I'd crack open another bottle of champers, but I suspect I've already had this month's alcohol supplies and it would be more than foolish. But the virtual champagne is well and truly flowing. I'll send back the signed contract tomorrow and then wait to get my teeth into the edits with them. I think it might be an autumn 2009 publication date, but that's still to be sorted. So watch this space ...

In the midst of all this excitement, I've added another 1000 words to Hallsfoot's Battle and am in the middle of a scene with Annyeke and the great Library. The second elder's wife, Iffenia, is also in it so I'd better make sure something dramatic happens pretty damn soon as they're both kick-ass women and won't thank me if I don't give them some real action ... Lordy, one's characters can be pretty tricksy at times, I can tell you.

I also think I'm bonding with our balloon - we're tethering it up at night on the ironing board but we've now got used to it floating free around the flat during the day and going where it wants to. Almost like having a pet really. Occasionally Lord H and I will play a kind of balloon frisby where we butt it at each other with our heads, but I do accept that is probably on the dodgy side of lunacy. But hell there's not much TV on till later, so one must make one's own entertainment here in the shires.

Talking of entertainment, we've finally got round to watching our DVD of In Bruges, with the glorious Colin Farrell. Hmm, not one of my favourite films, I must admit - I was hoping for more comedy and a nicer ending, but we enjoyed seeing Bruges once more, and Lord H particularly remarked upon the good use of religious symbolism. And there was I thinking it was just a lot of blood - shows what I know about film then ...

Tonight, we have the next update in the History of Christianity programme, then it's Lark Rise to Candleford (marry him, Dorcas, marry him!), followed by Jeremy Paxman doing Victorian art. Lordy but Sunday nights are definitely getting stranger ...

This week's haiku:

Tea and poetry:
society's last great hopes
before the night falls.

Today's nice things:

1. Bones being accepted for publication, hurrah!
2. Writing more of Hallsfoot
3. Balloon games
4. TV.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - the party starts here ...

12 comments:

Jilly said...

That is excellent news Anne - your true worth is obviously recognised better in America than here. Hugs XX

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jilly! Maybe they just like my Essex accent better over there???

:))

Axxx

Anonymous said...

I'm just so thrilled that The Bones of Summer is going to be published! It has made me feel happy all day.

Spookily enough, I found a helium balloon drifting across the field this afternoon ... I hope it's a harbinger of good writing news. Either that, or the balloons are trying to take over the world - aagh!

Anne Brooke said...

Gosh, Caro - thank you! How very kind! I hoped you liked my balloon gift ...

==:O

:))

Axxx

Anonymous said...

WhooHoo! I send the biggest congratulations and a hug to you across the Atlantic. :) You have so earned this success, so Revel in it lady!

Anonymous said...

Please change that 'R' to lower case! Yes, it's official now, I'm perpetually condemned to make errors on this blog. It's either hormonal or connected to your renegade balloon Anne. :)

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Val! And it's definitely the balloon!

:))

Axxx

Jackie Luben said...

Congratulations, Anne. Glad to hear of your success.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! What fabulous news!

Seems you're getting something published almost daily right now :)

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jackie & WFH - much appreciated!

Axxx

litlove said...

Just catching up here - Congratulations on your publication!! Woo-hoo!!! You must be thrilled!

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, LL - I am pretty pleased, yes!

:))

Axxx