Friday, February 06, 2009

Transmutation, neighbours and cake city

Much to my delight, my flash fiction story, Transmutation, is now published and you can find it here. There's a content wanting to do with other work on the webzine, but there's no need to panic in this instance as the story is sex-free (shame!...). You can even leave comments - be as rude as you like! Hmm, maybe not too rude ...

Keeping to the writing theme, this morning's meditation is:

Meditation 66

The life
is in the blood.

When it covers the earth
dig deep

with your fingers
and scatter soil

over the last drop
so your secrets

are stored
in the ground

and the wide sky
may not harm you.

Had a lovely chat with the downstairs neighbour and his daughter today, which was great. We put the whole world to rights so everything will be perfect from now on in, in case you're wondering. Well, it would be if we were in charge, that is. I've also trudged round Waitrose attempting to stock up on drinks and nibbles for the University novel reading event next week, as well as buying ingredients to make Lord H a weekend chocolate cake (it's his birthday on Monday). I'm no Delia, but I'm going to give it my best shot tonight. Lordy, you'll probably hear the screams, and goodness only knows what state the kitchen will be in ...

I've also managed to get another 1000 words down in Hallsfoot's Battle so that takes me to just over 88,000 words. With a bit of luck and a favourable wind, I might make my 90,000 aim for the end of February then. One hopes.

Despite a rather threatening looking snow shower over lunchtime (sushi and fruit, if you're asking), I've driven at a snail's speed over to Guildford for my Alexander Technique lesson. I think she's quite pleased with progress, although my left shoulder is lower than my other apparently - she stretched my left side so I looked normal (no, don't laugh) and I could see how straight it was in the mirror but, hell, it felt really twisted. Just goes to show what dreadful alignment (or lack of alignment) habits I've been used to over the last 40 years or so. I feel this is worthwhile but it will be a long long journey, Carruthers - has anyone brought a flask?...

Today's nice things:

1. Transmutation being published
2. Poetry
3. Neighbours
4. Writing more of Hallsfoot
5. Alexander Technique.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - also answers to Quasimodo ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Anne

Loved the little flash, sad but very readable. Well done on the publication and I liked your poem too.

Best

JB

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, thanks, JB - always good to hear from you and glad you liked the stuff!

Love & hugs

Axxx