Friday, May 15, 2009

A novel to die for

Have stayed in the flat today with a major focus on getting better, so cancelled golf with Marian, which was a bit of a shame. But in the end I think it was a wise choice as I do feel on the mend more now. If seriously tired.

But the good news is that I am now included as a regular reviewer on the Vulpes Libris site, so that's lovely. And in preparation for being able to get in and book review posting time, I've spent the morning writing up a full review of Caroline Rance's wonderful novel, Kill-Grief, and here's a very brief taster of that review:

".... The novel tells the story of Mary Helsall, who arrives in Chester in 1756, carrying her own bitter secrets but determined to carve a future for herself, despite the men who lay claim to her, body and soul. The setting is so densely and sharply described that it becomes a character in itself, and carries equal billing with the marvellous character of Mary. In essence, it's dark and rich and strong, like the best brandy, and I can thoroughly recommend it ..."

More like this please, Caroline ...

Other than that, I've spent a large part of the day asleep. I've eaten one bowl of cereals and one half-coated chocolate chip cookie. That was nice. I'm drinking bucket-loads of Lucozade. And I'm doing an awful lot of coughing. In fact, I think I may well be the best cougher in Surrey. Possibly the UK. My tissue supply might be running low too, but I shall worry about that tomorrow.

Oh, and I forgot to say that for some reason the US tax office have rejected my claim for literary tax relief, so I have to fill in the forms again and send them off. It appears I may not need to go up to London and go through the whole process a second time though - which is a blessed relief. But I think if this attempt fails, I may well simply grit my teeth and accept the double tax whammy. After all, it's not as if I actually earn anything to make a third try worthwhile - but for the sake of those wonderful people (thank you hugely, Clare & Sharon!) who talked me through the process and emailed lots of support, a second go will be had. Watch this space ...

Finally, Chris Brown from new media agency, Chris Brown Media is kindly helping me with an upcoming book trailer for A Dangerous Man as a low-cost way of building up his post-University portfolio - so thank you, Chris, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you might come up with.

Today's nice things:

1. Writing a review for Kill-Grief
2. Books
3. A Dangerous Man potential book trailer.

Anne Brooke - down but not yet out
Cancer Research Race for Life - give generously to help others ...

4 comments:

Jilly said...

Anne - whatever happens you shouldn't have to pay tax twice. If you pay tax in the US this counts against tax you might have to pay here - you just show it on your tax return under foreign income. I'm pretty certain there is a double taxation agreement with the US and the UK. You could check on www.hmrc.gov.uk. Glad you're feeling a bit better. hugsXX

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jilly! And yes that's exactly the forms I filled in - and the ones the guy in the US tax office in London said were fine and all in order when I went up there six weeks ago. Those same ones they've now rejected ...

If the worst comes to the worst and they reject it a second time, that's a good tip about doing it from this end though! I'll have a go at that then!

:))

Hugs & thanks

Axxx

Caroline R said...

Ooh, I'm really thrilled that you like Kill-Grief and I can't wait to see the whole review. Thank you!

C
xxx

Anne Brooke said...

It's fabulous, Caro - a pleasure to read!

Axxx