Thursday, January 13, 2011

Radio fame and a riot of reviews

Book News:

I was bowled over last night with a review of A Dangerous Man which was broadcast on Venture Radio UK as part of their John Peters Show, which has a monthly book review slot. Honestly I was sobbing with delight whilst huddled with K round my computer listening in. Never say I'm not professional, eh ... Ho ho.  Really it's almost like being a proper writer. Anyway, huge thanks to the lovely Graham Sclater who was kind enough to give the book such a positive review - many thanks indeed, Graham! I'm told that I'll get the link to the review over the next couple of weeks or thereabouts so will post it here when I can. Gosh indeedy.

Other news on A Dangerous Man is that it's gained a 4-star review at Goodreads (thank you, Erin) and in addition shortened versions of both Erin's and Graham's reviews can be found at the Amazon Kindle entry.

Not to be outdone, The Delaneys and Me gained a 5-star review at Goodreads, so thank you, Sidney, for your comments.

Meanwhile, I'm carrying on with The Executioner's Cane and have, much to my surprise, found a new plot twist which I think will help carry me through to the end. Here's hoping anyhow. And I've sent back the final galley proofs for Brady's Choice to Amber Allure Press, and the first edits for Rosie By Name to Bluewood Publishing, so I'm keeping busy, hurrah. We don't like any slacking here in the shires. So much so that I've spent some time fighting womanfully with the computer and attempting to reorganise the website listing of my GLBT Stories into some kind of order and I hope it lasts for a while. Because goodness me but that was a late night ...

Today at Vulpes Libris, you can find my review of E Lynn Harris' In My Father's House, in which I do battle with the Beautiful People and live to tell the tale - possibly ...

Meditations so far this week are:




Meditation 482
Men plot and plan,
lay siege to cities,
imprison and kill

whilst women wait
silently in the shadows,
enduring war still.




Meditation 483
When all is finished
amongst the dead,
a whisper of hope
remains as shadow,
unsaid.




Meditation 484
All the silver and gold
in the land

cannot wipe away
the blood and shadows

staining the earth
and for him

there is no road
to rebirth.


Life News:

I have a life? Who'd have thought it ... Anyway, it was the first complete week of work after Christmas this week and I think I survived well enough, hurrah. Actually it is nice to get back into a routine - there's safety in structure, don't you know. And I think we're reaching slowly towards the final few of my physio sessions to get my arm back to full and functioning form (hmm, nice alliteration there, methinks ...). It's been aching more in general this week, which is probably due to getting back to work properly, but nothing too bad, thank goodness. It will be interesting to see how it is if I get to play golf tomorrow - that will be a real test for sure.

The marvellous news of the week though is that Ruth at work got her Accountancy exam results back and got 68%, well gosh and yes we all knew she would do well even though she wasn't confident! I am so pleased about it that I spent several minutes screaming with joy at the email which she kindly sent me today, and then just had to ring her up at work and do some more screaming. All rather startling for the neighbours, and certainly for Ruth. But huge congratulations anyway. It's a fabulous achievement.

Anne Brooke

8 comments:

Stevie Carroll said...

What an exciting review to get!

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Stevie - I was excited too! :))

Jason Shaw said...

Oh wow what joy and fun and much deserved praise!

Anne Brooke said...

Tee hee, thanks, Jason! :))

Megan said...

Giant congratulations on the radio review Anne - thoroughly deserved x

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Megan - much appreciated! :))

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Well done and informative!
Looking forward to following!
Stay Creative!
~Mimi

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Mimi! :)) May your weekend be a creative one too! Anne B